Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Irina Werning's "Back to the Future" project


I absolutely love her "Back to the Future" series. I was a fan of it before this class for several reasons. First of all, the very idea for the project is inspiring and intriguing to me. I can imagine how much work (but fun!) it was to track down the locations, outfits, and other details necessary to recreate the original photo. It plays to my sense of attention to detail because I can see Irina's attention to detail shine in each piece as well. Every piece of clothing, every piece of jewelry, every finger is almost exactly if not exactly like the original. Not to mention it's incredibly fascinating to me to see what the times have changed (or not changed).

I imagine these photos would be a fantastic gift to the family members involved. However, there is also a dose of reality among these photos. The particularly strong ones are where there was a group of children - brothers or sisters - and the recent photo has that person missing. It reminds me how fragile life is and how every photo is important. It is sound reasoning behind my constant drive to take photos of my family and friends. Although it drives them all crazy, I know I will want all of these photos in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment